Monday, January 02, 2006

TOO MANY SECRETS



Because I believe in progress, I want to share with you the recipe for - without hyperbole - the best bloody mary in the world. Any restaurant where I have any say in the menu will have this as a featured item. This recipe is not a science, I've never made it to specific measurements. If you try it, you might need to make a few test batches, adding a little of each ingredient at a time until you find something that works for you. It's based on me and steph's personal taste, so feel free to stray from these suggestions, just know you are tampering with perfection.

If you follow my sporadic postings you'll remember the pepper vodka post. This recipe rely's on a good homemade pepper vodka, which is great for martini's as well. I may have posted this recipe already but it's that good, you need to be reminded!

If you haven't made your own pepper vodka, don't even bother with this, it will just be another bloody mary. Don't be tempted by absolut's peppar vodka, it's spicy but has no pepper flavor which is truly what makes the drink.

Bloody Mary

1 1/2 ounces pepper vodka
8 ounces tomato juice
juice of half a lime
1/2 ounce white vinegar
worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp celery salt
pinch kosher salt
corsely ground black pepper
garnish, olives, pickled asparagus, celery stalk

Pour the chilled vodka into a highball (or similar) glass or a wide bodied wine glass (I prefer this one). Pour the tomato juice on top. Add the worcestershire sauce and stir. I always base the amount on the color. Since steph loves worcestershire sauce I add enough to make it a dark dark red. When I make it for myself, I add it to a deep maroon. Either way you should add a little more than you think you need since it gives the tomato juice a wonderful 'meaty' flavor. Add the remaining ingredients and stir again. Add ice if desired and garnish.

variations could include, olive juice, horseradish, grated onion, sherry vinegar instead of white, lemon juice instead of lime.

Pepper Vodka
allow 1 week for preparation, it's worth the wait

750ml GOOD vodka, I like absolut but steph prefers finlandia, stoli would be good too -no smirnoff, philips or burnetts!
1 jalepeno
1 red jalepeno or fresno chili
1 serrano chili
2 cloves garlic, whole, peeled

Don't be tempted to replace any of the chilis with a spicier one, this recipe is perfectly balanced. I once made this using a thai chili instead of a serrano and the bloody marys upset my stomach. Also, don't forget the garlic, it provides an earthy foundation for the chili flavor and spice.

Pour a few ounces of vodka out of the bottle. Wash the chili's thoroughly. Slice each in half lengthwise and push into the bottle along with the garlic. Allow to steep at room temperature at least three days, 7 is optimal.

I prefer to refrigerate the vodka after infusion is complete, since you don't need to remove the chilis and the flavor is the best. You could also remove the chilis and store the vodka in the freezer. I find this tedius and difficult at best, also, you almost always end up spilling some and wasting the precious spirit. If you remove the chilis, discard them, they do not taste good.

A pepper is not a subtle fruit, its flavor is aggressive even when used for it's sweetness. For this reason I like it paired - as it usually is - with subtly flavored meats, chicken, pork, seafood, veal. My friend Gabe suggested serving the pepper vodka martini with a fish dish, which is an excellent idea that I intend to try at some point, possibly with the trendy and expensive sea bass.

Dirty Pepper Martini

1 1/2 ounces homemade pepper vodka
1/4 ounce dry vermouth
splash of olive brine

Pour into a shaker over ice. Shake and pour into a martini glass. Garnish with a jalepeno wheel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a rockin time, pepper me up.