Thursday, May 11, 2006

Careme


I haven't posted in awhile, mostly cause I haven't been cooking very much. Who would've thought at a cooking school. I made stirfry for my friends the other night, it was good, but too salty. In skills we made a vegetable beef soup and french onion soup. Tomorrow is consomme which I'm really looking forward to. I wanted to share with you all a quote from the escoffier guide to modern cookery.

"Our illustrious master, Careme, was talking one day to one of his colleagues who was complaining bitterly of the unrefined habits and uncouth tastes of his master, habits and tastes which shocked him to the extent that he had made up his mind to leave his post rather than go on ignoring the priciples of high class cookery which he had followed all his working life. 'You would be quite wrong to behave thus,' replied Careme, 'in matters of cookery there are not a number of priciples, there is only one and that is to satisfy the person you are serving.'"

No comments: