Sunday, July 22, 2007

Fish on Sunda(e?)ys



I appreciate all the work of a complicated meal a lot more when I can throw together something like this in ten minutes on a lazy sunday afternoon. This is the striped bass trimmings I had leftover that I sauteed with a watercress salad and sweet pepper vinaigrette. Normally I wouldn't bother putting up something with zero effort and such a crappy photo, but this was so damn good I just had to post about it.

One of the dinner guests friday was allergic to citrus so I made her this same salad with shrimp in place of the regular shrimp dish. The peppers are pureed with the skins on, making it slightly bitter. It worked suprisingly well with the watercress. I think of complementing bitternesses as a kind of culinary russian roulette with slightly worse odds, but this turned out very nice. The dressing is and sweet and greasy with the fish and crispy greens- mmmmmmm. I'm gonna eat some ice cream and take a nap.

Sweet Pepper Vin.

2 sweet peppers, stemmed and seeded
3/4-1 cup off-dry white wine
2 sprigs thyme
1 small fresh bay leaf
1oz chopped sweet onion
3/4 tsp rice vinegar
1-2T olive oil
salt

Puree the pepper and wine in a blender. Strain the liquid into a pot and reduce with onion and thyme to about 1T. Add the vinegar and oil.

I make this a little heavy on the oil and light on the vinegar so it's more like a sweet emulsified sauce than a dressing. I just put the reduction in one of those little brandname plastic 2oz containers and shake it up with the oil and vinegar.

No comments: