Monday, December 17, 2007

A Quiet Dinner

Most of the time my trips to the heartland are filled with unrestrained indulgence and experimentation in food. Fortunately I've been busy and enterprising this trip which - while unexpectedly lucrative - has left little room for me to play. As much as I would like a full blown 12 course plated dinner I don't have the time. But there is possibility for a more intimate and limited dinner, maybe 3-4 courses for 5-6 people.

This got me thinking about the importance and meanings of a highly complicated meal vs a simple one. You have progressions of textures, intensities and flavors to take into account. Is it harder to make a three course meal vs a 7+? With 5-7 courses, one or two can miss and the meal will still be a success. A three course can only get better with each plate or it will be a dissapointment. On the other hand with each addition it becomes increasingly difficult to create a meaningful succession.

This is all I had in mind so far:

Soup

Fresh Pasta

Braised Meat

Dessert

No comments: