Sunday, May 15, 2005

Perfect for a Sunday afternoon

Roasted Pepper Soup



I may be a little obsessed with roasted peppers, but they are one of the greater simple pleasures in life. So when I noticed I still had a bunch lingering in my fridge, their fate was sealed. Unfortunately my apartment has a horrible, indecisive electric stove so I end up roasting them the old fashioned way. It gives me the time I need to prepare the other ingredients for the soup.

It was a little creamier than I expected it to be, but I used a homemade chicken/duck broth, which might explain the mysterious richness. I left cream or other dairy out of it since I knew I'd be reheating it, so I could have delicious soup to eat on a lazy sunday afternoon without any effort. The flavor of the roasted pepper didn't come through as much as I would've liked, but there's a lot of mirepoix in this recipe. Next time I'll probably cut it down.

It has a bright almost citrusy flavor from the peppers and is very savory. Sandwich recommendation would be Grilled Cheese, it's worked great so far. I wanted to go straight-up gourmet and make goat cheese and tapenade paninis, but I don't have either of those things so, whatever. It makes me sad to be eating the last of it as I type without anyone else having known the goodness of the roasted pepper soup.

Roasted Pepper Soup

3 red bell peppers
2 yellow bell peppers
1 Tbs garlic, minced
4 Tbs olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 ½ Tbs shallot, minced
1 ½ tsp red wine vinegar
½ cup celery, diced
½ cup carrot, diced
3 ½-4 cups homemade chicken broth
1 ½ tsp thyme leaves
pinch red pepper flake

Roasting peppers:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stem and seeds. Place on a baking sheet, cover lightly with olive oil salt and pepper and roast until the flesh is soft and the skin becomes wrinkly and charred, about 1 hour. When the peppers are done, cover with a large bowl or paper bag for 10 minutes to let the skins loosen. Peel the skin and let cool. Chop coarsely and set aside.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions and celery and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, peppers, red pepper flake and thyme and cook another 3 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Blend until desired smooth with a stick blender and garnish with goat cheese.



No comments: