Saturday, May 28, 2005

Seattle International Film Festival




Armed with a pound of smoked turkey, a half of swiss, a loaf of bread, some fruit and a bucket of homemade trail mix, I journeyed to the city for a week long extravaganza of non-stop international film. It was, needless to say, insanely awesome. Some highlights included: Somersault, My Summer of Love, The Holy Girl, Open Hearts, 3 Iron, Genesis, 4, After Midnight, Frozen, The Lizard, The Ninth Day, Kekexili: the mountain patrol, Earth and Ashes, Mcdull; Prince de la Bun and The World. A week later I return with three oranges and a grown dislike of nutella.

Unfortunately, I had no access to a computer during the festival. I did not have had time to make food anyway, but the U-district has like 10 restaurants on every block. There's a nice little thai place that I enjoyed a lot, on university street near 45th, called Thai Tom. The place was packed and the size of a large walkin closet. I sat no more than 6 feet from the cook on the other side of the bar and watched as he worked five burners, constantly making sauces and stirfrys, cranking out a dish every few minutes. Lots of bubble tea and korean food in the area.

Siff Trail Mix

1 1/4 parts honey roasted peanuts
1/2 part lightly salted cashews
1/2 part dried cranberries
1 part banana chips
1/2 part brazil nuts
1/2 part almonds
1/2 part dried apricots, cut into quarters

I think that's everythin. combine ingredients

If you downplay the cashews in this recipe because they're so heavy, it's more nicely balanced. The brazil nuts have that great earthiness like an almond with a subtle creaminess. I noticed after a few days the salt from the nuts sucked all the moisture out of the apricots and they became tough to eat.

No comments: