Monday, September 19, 2005

Sharpest Knife EVER!

Now that I'm once again in the market for a new knife, I've found that Henckels has just released a new line that may rightfully take the title of the sharpest high carbon steel cutlery around.

For awhile Kershaw's Shun line with it's VG-10 core and 16 layers of SUS-410 stainless steel offered about the best edge retention around. and with a rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 degrees, it was in a league of it's own compared to most other major knife makers at 56-58 degrees. However, J.A. Henckels just released it's Twin Cermax knives, boasting an impressive 66 rockwell score, making it by far the hardest HCS knife around. You can't use a regular honing steel with these because most are 66 degrees as well; you have to get Henckels diamond steel. Those 5 points are gonna cost you though. the twin cermax 6.5" santoku sells online for $189 compared to the shun 6.5" santoku at $99.

To combat Henckels new line, Kershaw has released the Shun Elite, also scoring a 66 and in a similar price range.

As a result, Shun knives are finally starting to come down in price. Most of them are about $20-30 cheaper than last year around this time, which is awesome. Anyone looking for a new knife should check these babies out. I have nothing but good things to say about my Shun santoku.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who enjoys to try recent stuff. Presently I'm manufacturing my personal solar panels. I'm managing it all alone without the aid of my staff. I am utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive this. I discovered a very amazing website which explains how to contruct photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The place explains all the steps needed for building photovoltaic panels.

I am not really sure bout how precise the info given there iz. If some guys over here who have xp with these works can have a look and give your feedback in the site it will be grand and I would highly appreciate it, because I truly like [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. You guys are the best.