Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Scotch Eggs



I just recently came across this classic pub fare at Brit's Pub in downtown minneapolis. I had literally been in town an hour. Our waiter forgot the original order and returned with the late-night menu, where it grabbed our attention. This is by far the most significant British contribution to the culinary world I've tasted as well as the only reason our waiter received any tip at all. I thought of Steph immediately when I had this cause I think she'd like it and it's amazingly delicious. I'm planning on making it soon.

It consists of a hard boiled egg, wrapped in breakfast sausage, covered in bread crumbs and deep fried. Not exactly diet food, but damned you are if you dimiss it on those grounds. They served it with a dijon mustard mayonnaise based sauce. Here's my attempt at reverse engineering the recipe:

2 hard boiled eggs, peeled
2-4 links breakfast sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
oil for for deep frying

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp sherry vinegar
fresh ground black pepper

Put the flour in a shallow dish and roll the eggs in it to coat lightly. Enclose the eggs in the sausage and dust again with flour. dredge in the beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs. Fry for a minute or two until the sausage is cooked through. Slice in half and serve warm or cold with dijon mustard sauce.

No comments: